Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Intrapersonal - Task 1

Who would you want to be friends with in the novel? Explain.

A friend should be a role model to us in certain aspects, and has something positive which we lack or can learn from. Thus, I would like to be friends with Atticus Finch in the novel because I feel he is the character with the most honorable traits.

In my opinion, he is the moral backbone of the novel. He represents the voice of reason and is the character with the best set of personal principles, which I feel a large majority of the other characters in the novel lack. He is one of the few characters in the story who stood up for what he believed in despite public opinion, and is also unswayed by racial prejudices and societal norms prevalent at that time. His defense of Tom Robinson proved this point, and showed that he put his conscience before personal reputation. This makes him a highly respectable person, as not many people in the position of power (e.g. the jury of Tom Robinson trial) are willing to put themselves at stake to protect innocent people (i.e. mockingbirds) who are incorrectly judged to be the black sheep of society.

His ability in handling relationships with other delicately is also a trait worthy for me to learn from. In the Multiple Intelligences test, I scored lower on the interpersonal aspect, so being friends with Atticus would improve my techniques in dealing with people. He stressed the importance of empathising with others, or "walking around in their skin". For example, he was able to show empathy towards Mrs. Dubose despite her hostility, excusing her behaviour for her illness and age. How he is able to walk around in the shoes of others is admirable as not many, including his children, could do so.
Thus, I would like to be friends with Atticus as I feel that he is the character in the novel whom I can learn from the most.

-Shilin

No comments:

Post a Comment